Who is eligible?
Nominated officials who are living, working or attending an educational institution in the Western Region.
Age and Number of Officials
Officials aged 15 or older as of the 1 January 2012. Up to fifteen officials may be selected.
You must attend all activities and events that are conducted throughout the duration of the program.
The program will run from November 2011 to June 2012
Benefits to officials selected in WRAS –
- Advanced information on the generic aspects of officiating at a high level (sports specific officiating is generally not provided). This will include:
- Identifying qualities of a great official
- Philosophy of officiating
- Concentration / focusing skills
- Personality profiling
- Game preparation
- Self reflection and evaluation
- Communication techniques
- Conflict management
- Perceptual fairness
- Relaxation skills
- Diet / Hydration
- Case studies
- Presentations by top level officials. The program will be headed by some of Australia’s leading officials – Peter Wright (Basketball), who will be assisted by Nathan Pearce (Rugby) and Tony Wilde (football and cricket).
- Personal video analysis (officials will be required to submit a video of themselves officiating their sport).
- Physiological and optical screening
- An individually tailored fitness / strength and conditioning program for you and your sport.
- Sports science testing and support
- Education/personal development sessions
- Assistance with mentoring (where appropriate)
- Opportunities to officiate in Academy events (if WRAS has a squad for the applicable sport)