What is the AWD Program?
The WRAS athletes with a disability (AWD) program provides regional based athletes, currently participating at elite or pre-elite levels, with education, support services (including strength and conditioning and physical testing)
The primary aim of the 2012 WRAS AWD program is to identify and develop athletes with a disability to progress successfully to the next level of representation at a regional, state or national level. Scholarships will be awarded based on the most recent performances by the athlete at regional, state, national or international age level.
To be eligible for a scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside or attend school in the Western Region (this area is bounded by Lithgow, Oberon, Cowra, West Wyalong, Condobolin, Narromine, Gilgandra, Dunedoo and Kandos/Rylstone
- Be involved in an individual or team sport
- Be aged 14 years and above on 1 January 2012. Special consideration may be given to athletes outside the eligible age, subject to approval of the WRAS Board
- If no longer attending school, must be in full time employment or undertaking full time study
- Meet the selection criteria as outlined
- If selected athletes must attend all designated activities, events and any training sessions that are conducted throughout the duration of the program
- The program will run from November 2011 to June 2012
The following selection criteria MAY be taken into consideration during the entire selection process:
- Recent performances and rankings at events
- Recommendation of the respective State Sporting Organisation and/or Paralympic Organisation will be considered
- Interview with WRAS selection panel
- Education/personal development sessions in areas that will support individual development such as sports nutrition, sports psychology, media presentation, drugs in sport etc
- Strength and Conditioning programs, support and advice (including Functional Movement Screening)
- Sports Science testing and support
- Optical screening
- Access to squad activities and events conducted by other regional academies in NSW on a fostering basis, where available
- Media recognition and assistance with increasing the profile of the athlete
Need more information?
If you require further information and details please contact the WRAS on 6338 4821